Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Adventure: Chapter IX - Original Thought


“Lyin’ on my back in a cornfield back in Kansas
I think I might’a had my first original thought"
(Chely Wright, “Your Woman Misses her Man”)

Do you find yourself reading something or hearing someone say something or do something and comparing yourself to that person unfavorably?

Photo Credit Newlin Keen

I’ve spent my life comparing myself to other people and coming up short. My shrink said, the other day, “How do you know what you see is the truth?” Good question.

I envy bloggers who write spiritually deep things. I envy people who are doing what I want to do and are making money at it and are published. I envy those who every day can come up with an original thought that inspires others to share it with still others.

Of course, it’s not true that I have never had an original thought. I have original thoughts about scripture all the time. Last week I had an original thought about the dishonest steward or accountant in Luke’s gospel. A man had an accountant, a steward, and some people came to the man and said the accountant was dishonest. So the man demanded an accounting from the steward before he fired him. So the accountant thought, how can I make sure I can still make a living after I’ve been fired? So he called the man’s debtors and made deals with them – you owe this? Pay only that. – ensuring that they would remember him and help him out when he was fired.

My original thought was that Jesus is thinking of himself when he talks about the steward who slashes everyone’s bills before collecting on them. Only Jesus outdoes the steward. He cancels all our debts. Today, I read someone else musing on the same possibility. That doesn’t make my thought unoriginal. It just makes it validated.

I also have this blog, where almost everything I post here is original, and if it isn’t, what I do with it is my original thought. And I realized today that a lot of what I am envying is actually attributed to the greats: mystics like Hildegard of Bingen, scientists like Albert Einstein, presidents like FDR, women activists like Helen Keller.

So, now I know intellectually that comparing myself to other people who seem to me to be more wonderful than I am, more popular, smarter, more inspiring, and more original, is a waste of time and emotion. It won’t stop me from doing it. I’ve been doing it for too long. However, it will bring me up short every time I catch myself belittling myself in comparison to someone else, and make me wonder why. Because I realized today there is an integral link to my envy, for that is what it is, and the things I wish I could or would do, and there is no reason on God’s earth why I shouldn’t do those things I want to be doing. In fact, in a very real sense, I am doing a lot of those things, and on my way to doing others. I’m just not yet adept at recognizing my own accomplishments.

The antidote, then, to the downward spiral into self-denigration is this: What have you already accomplished? List them. Thank yourself for them. Even if they are very small.

Photo credit Lois Keen
I want to be part of a spiritual community of practice that companions others who need someone to walk along with them. Today I envied a community of Episcopalians that are doing that in another state. Then I realized I’m one step, no wait, two, three, more steps already on the way to that kind of community. I start hospice chaplaincy next week in a tiny way, one day a week, and it is a step, an accomplishment. I’m trained to be a consultant for congregations in transition and as opportunities open up I will companion them. I have been asked to be chaplain to a community of intentional prayer practice. I have a full schedule of supplying for worship on Sundays.

Each day, each week, I take some small step. But, because I can't not put myself down for not having the whole plan together yet, I said to my shrink, “But the writing…aarrgggghhh...overwhelming. I don't think it will ever happen” And yet, I write something, no matter how little, every day, not always for the literary value but because I cannot, not write. And as I thought about this, I said to him, "If I do this every day, one day what I really want to share with the world will find its way onto the paper and I'll be off and running."

Next time I compare myself and my habitual reaction is to look down on myself, as I envy the other, I will look over this list and then add to it what I have next done to become a practitioner of intentional companioning.

And as to spiritual practice – I commend this practice of noticing what you have done, and honoring yourself for it, and thanking yourself for it. And if you are a God person, give thanks to God.
Photo credit Newlin Keen

No comments:

Post a Comment