Saturday, August 17, 2013

Adventure: Chapter VI - Beyond the Breakwater

Early this month a friend wrote on her facebook status that she is finding ways to serve God, the Church, on her own terms, "...without some of the burdens of having the Church as one's career." This struck home for me. This is what I, too, am doing. I know I'm not alone in this. Next step networking? I have to admit that I'd rather take on a bishop than cold-call fellow clergy to see if we can come together on this remaking of the vocation of serving God without the Church being one's career.

Photo credit Newlin Keen
I've said it before. Our Diocese has said clearly that most clergy are going to have to be bi-vocational from now on and into the foreseeable future. I do accept that. I embrace it. Now the challenge begins to redefine what part time parish ministry looks like, then to educate congregations that part time means just that - part time during the week, part time Sundays.

I have been challenged on this by a fellow clergyperson who has served pastoral size churches and, as a pastoral church priest, believes strongly this is a recipe for the failure and closing of more and more small churches because it is essential that the priest be present every Sunday to give support to the congregation. I too have served only pastoral sized churches. She is right, if we do not re-educate the people we serve and guide them to empower themselves to do those things which they are very capable of doing for themselves - supporting themselves and one another with the part time guidance of the clergyperson and reflecting with the clergyperson theologically twice a month on what they are doing and where God is in that, as well as in their daily lives.

Photo credit Lois Keen
This is, then, part of the sabbatical I'm on - having those conversations about the logical result of having more and more clergy taking 1/2 time parish positions. And setting up a network of those of us who are finding ways to serve on our own terms, with or without some of the burdens of having the Church as career. And clarifying the calling that was what drew me into ordination and now draws me out beyond the breakwater, into uncharted waters. Sacramental ministry is the call; charting those waters is part of the mission God may need someone to do, for the future, and the now, of God's overarching mission of restoration and reconciliation.



2 comments:

  1. Overcoming the fear of change will be the hardest. We KNOW of what we are capable and can do to support and feed one another. It is in accepting that and DOING it, that change will happen. There is a place for the full time priests at large churches - why cannot they be hubs for the part time priests who are building groups that want to do community work, study together and, and, and... Imagine several groups gathering once every six weeks or so for common worship and then sharing their accomplishments and concerns. The more I think about this, the more plausible it is. Oh, how I miss our brainstorming sessions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss those sessions, too, Barbara. But you seem to have done very well online – this is brilliant! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete